Beating heart of search engine optimization has not changed much in the last one year: you still need it:
- Focus on building valuable content.
- Create high quality links.
- As soon as you research your keyword, give priority to semantic search.
However, some things that have changed – in the way of mobile-first indexing, the way Google now uses real user metrics to measure page speed – certainly a splash has been created and they have a big effect. As we look forward to the future.
In this article, if you want to be on top of Google’s ever-evolving algorithm, you will need 10 advanced SEO tips and techniques.
1. Prioritize your mobile site for mobile-first indexing
Hopefully, since the launch in March, you will remain with Google’s migration for mobile-first index.
Hopefully, the first indexing of mobile means how and how you affect the rankings, lots of misery about it, is removing many misconceptions.
Let’s clarify the record for once and for all: When it comes to mobile-first indexing, you do not need an innocent mobile site to claim your spot as the King of the Hill (or SERPs).
And you definitely do not want to leave SEO for your desktop site, because mobile-first indexing is here.
Here’s what you need to remember about this change:
- The mobile-first indexing is here. This means that if you have a desktop and a mobile version of your site, then the mobile version will be indexed and preferably ranked for your desktop version. If he has not been with you yet, then it will be soon. There is no way to “get out”
- There is never a better time to create a responsive site. If you know that your viewers use mobile, it’s time to take out the leap!
- Do not use infiltrating interstitials. just do not. They are not user-friendly, and even if Google is not taking strict action on them yet, but this change can happen soon.
- Create content with mobile in mind (without sacrificing value). This means that avoiding any format that has trouble loading on mobile devices and helping to protect all the contents of your desktop site that helps it rank (small mobile sites are better than aesthetics but they often do not win ranks too)
- Create a responsive site. If your site has not yet migrated and you are thinking of being responsible, this is the best moment.
- Make good use of “over-proof” methods. Hamburger and accordion menu did not obstruct the index and they would often improve the user experience (especially on mobile devices).
Remember, the more obstacles in your mobile site for Googlebot, the better it will be.
To be safe, you should regularly check your server log files for crawling errors.
2. Optimize for Speed
Yes, 2018 was the year when mobile page speed officially became a ranking factor.
But how does this really affect the SEO industry?
To know that in my link assistant my team used an experiment before and after the infamous page speed update, in which it was understood which factors influencing the actual Google ranking.
The findings have shown that, for now, the page speed does not really affect rankings very much – but it does adapt to the level.
You can test both the speed of your page and the optimization of your website by using the new (and better?) Page Speed Insight tool.
This tool now measures the sites according to both:
- Optimization quality (supported by “Lab Data” Lighthouse Tool).
- Time loading of real users (“field data” from the real user matrix of Chrome users taken from Crooked Report data)
I’m sure Google is testing all the factors strictly, and we will see a lot of changes soon.
For some time, make sure your site is being strictly optimized:
- Run Regular Technical Site Audit and Fix Problems
- Follow Google’s recommendations for potential optimization. You can find the right in the PageSpeed Insights tool.
3. Take advantage of Google’s CrUX report
Based on the CrUX data, Switch Usual Switch on the 12th of November (RUM) 2018 is one of the changes we have seen.
Although it is not yet playing a major role in SERPs, I would not be surprised to see Google lean on this “field data” rather than “laboratory data”.
It is challenging for SEO professionals that if we look at the industry towards RUM, it is almost impossible to use local tests to highlight this data – which makes it challenging to optimize.
However, the good news is that the CrUX report is publicly available, and you can locate all the data you need: device and connection type, this or the loading time of that page, etc.
All you need is a project in the Google Cloud Platform, where you have access to the CrUX Public Project page.
With some basic knowledge of SQL, you can get Google’s raw data collected for your site and change your strategy based on this information:
4. Get more SERP space
There has been a lot of changes in the past few years on Google’s home page, so who knows what’s in the future for local packs, advertisements, knowledge panels, answer boxes and such as SERP staples.
The only thing we can do is that organic search results are constantly changing.
For example, the Hotel Pack recently changed a lot, getting a separate filtering system and three results instead of three:
So how do you protect a foothold in this difficult search scenario?
Here’s where you are starting:
Land specialty snippets
I know that the painted snippets are out of a lot of time, but they have not been less in value.
The displayed snippets are still shown above the search results (and, unfortunately, they are still hard to get and harder to keep long term).
So how do you get a featured snippet?
- You create content with the ranking keyword around the questions (questions you know your viewers want in response).
- You format your content snippet-wise (in paragraphs, tables, lists, etc.)
It is also worth exploring the Stone Temple Study which has found that different formatting techniques have different success rates on the basis of market:
Questions about hot topics in your niche using the short paragraphs of text (40-60 words – the size of a regular snippet depicted).
However, this is not a zero-guarantee ticket, it actually works well for different types of definitions (see Answer box on questions that provide only the actual query definitions).
While you do not get a special snippet in Schema markup, you can get one (or more) SERP features.
Here, in addition to the actual schema implementation, go to Google and experiment with questions for which you want to rank.
- The study which is drawn with these questions is the SERP type.
- Find out what places are occupied with your content and ask yourself if you are satisfied with their specialty.
- Apart from this (and perhaps most importantly), look for gaps that can fill your content.
5. Think about the video as a new content king
Maybe the video has killed the radio star and now it seems that he is looking at the written word as his next victim.
This is a joke – please do not stop writing content completely!
However, 2018 is the year that we have learned:
- People watch an average of 1 billion hours of video content every single day on YouTube.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine.
- Increase video time (watching YouTube mobile average mobile time takes more than 40 minutes)
- They occupy a lot of space in the SERPs. In addition, according to a study conducted by STAT, the number of video carousel in Google SERPs has nearly doubled:
And, lest we forget that, the video is an unprecedented way to promote engagement.
Here’s the best place for your audience to create videos and start optimization:
- Make small brand videos and product demos.
- Create educational videos about how to use your products or services.
- Play live broadcast such as webinars or interviews.
- Add relevant metadata (short title, rich details) and tape to Google’s video to fully understand their intent (s).
- Go for exact keyword matching (this is still a thing on YouTube).
- Fill out keyword tags, as they are used for recommended video.
- Upload videos to various popular platforms: YouTube, Wistia, Facebook, Vimeo, Instagram, etc.
- Submit a Video Sitemap for the search engine.
Also remember how the demand for video on YouTube is increasing by 70 percent every year.
6. Update your Google My Business listing
Google is adding new features to its Google My Business (GMB) such as crazy to develop local search.
According to a mosaic survey, the GMB signals are strongly related to local pack ranking factors.
Components and reviews like Google Post, Image, Google Q & A are considered to be one of the main GMB ranking factors.
Despite this, some businesses harbor optimization for GMB signals, so this is an opportunity that can give you a chance to separate from your competitors.
Here are some tips and tricks to consider:
Use Google Post
I’m sure you’ll publish on Facebook and Twitter. Do the same for Google posts as well.
Remember to use an exciting call to action to spark conversations.
Add your own questions and answers to Google Q & A.
In this way, this section will contain branded content that comes back to your business.
Upload and regularly updated images in your GMB list
And remember, now you can add videos there too!
Fill in all the categories in your listing
GMB is constantly updating with new categories.
If you have not logged into your profile for a while, you may be surprised to find many empty areas.
Be sure to update your profile information regularly.
Reviewing for business reputation and relevance has always been an important factor, and it is not changing anytime soon.
Ask each customer to write a review that mentions a specific service or product that they like and always responds to them.
7. Build Your Brand Using Linkless Brand Mention
According to the Google Search Quality Guidelines, brand reputation matters in the ranking process.
So yes, the links are still really important, but now the search engines also weigh unlisted brand mentions and emotion (i.e., reputation) as ranking factors.
You can create brand reputation in many ways (some of which are more natural than others):
- Whenever an opportunity arises, mention your brand online (especially if customers are asking questions which can resolve your products / services).
- Respond to your users when they talk directly to your brand on social media.
- Use social listening to find mention of your brand and address both praise and complaints.
- Find out the references of your rivals and see if you can reverse their prestige creation strategy and steal them for yourself.
8. Learn how to use the new Google Search Console
Many searchable features are added to Google Search Console, making it one of the most essential SEO tools in the market.
Even if you like other tools, it’s worth seeing.
Here are some of the most useful features:
Test the links in real time and explore the problems Google has made Once they are fixed, it is possible to verify them properly in this device and ask for a repetition.
Index coverage report
This report divides all URLs into four buckets – Errors, warnings with valid, valid, and excluded – and the reasons why those conditions have been attached and ways to fix problems
More or less the same old Search Analytics report you used, but now it has a wide spread date range of 16 months instead of 3 –
Report shared function
This allows GSC users to share their reports with anyone, even if they do not have an account. This is useful when you need to share some reports with your developers, for example.
They were very sophisticated. Now they feel like Excel
9. List your products on Amazon (especially if you are B2C)
Do you know that 56 percent of people first go to Amazon when they need to make some purchases?
Amazon is basically Google of ecommerce.
So, if you sell something and you are still not on Amazon, think about how you remember 56 percent of all those customers who are going to Google Search.
If you are ready to take this opportunity, keep in mind that Amazon uses its own search algorithm known as A9.
The main differences between Google and Amazon algorithms are as follows:
|Google search algorithm||vs.||Amazon search algorithm|
|Pursues a higher research intent (i.e., tries to answer the user’s question)||Pursues a higher purchase intent (i.e., tries to sell a product)|
|Defines relevancy by engagement behavior(CTR, bounce rates, dwell time, etc.)||Defines relevancy by purchase behavior (conversions after the search)|
When optimizing for Amazon algorithm, remember:
- Sales velocity is considered to be an important factor.
- If you want to find users, then paid ads must be made.
- Create great content to change users (use pictures, unique details, reviews, promos, etc.).
10. Employee Creative Link Building
The link building is still alive and kicking.
It may be that it does not bring the fast results of Black Black Friday advertising, but cultivating a healthy network of traditional links is still one of the most reliable methods of long-term, sustainable development for your business.
He said, sometimes creative link building can put you on fast track for success.
Structuring phrases that become a staple in your niche, you can quickly remove and some valuable links can earn equity.
For example, some years ago, nobody had heard about “zero status”. Now a quick Google search gives about 1 billion unique results for that key phrase.
Another link building method is to get links from sites that use your visual content without context.
If you’ve created some useful visual assets like Infographics, for example, search Google for this image. Most likely, you will see many sites that are happy to find and use your infographics.
Now you can contact them and ask for reference of your site as an image source.
Voila! Free links!
You can also win links from your speaking events.
You will get a link from the event itself. But you can also share events on social media and share some likes and share on other platforms.
You too (hopefully) will earn the link after your event, because people tend to retweet the blog and your speech insights.
For all the links you can get your 15-minute fame milk!
These are just some creative ways with which you can get links that quickly get traction but the rest are assured that there are many more (and many just waiting to be discovered by someone like you).
I am waiting for next year. I think this is going to be a big year for video content and micro-influencers, and we see the rise of social hearing more important than ever before.
But do not forget about the basics of what is in the future. Troy-and-True SEO method is far from obsolete, so do not ignore the industry’s best practices in discovering the latest SEO feds.
At the same time, do not be afraid to contact problems with a new and unique angle – who knows, maybe you’ll be one of the 2020 SEO trends!