How much does it cost to develop an app like Uber? This question almost always comes when we think of app development to make apps like Uber. The answer is always – it depends!
Uber’s business model has adapted a large number of on-demand platforms for different verticals. Demand for a taxi app like Uber and uber clone apps has increased significantly in recent days. Many value chain of industry is standing to be interrupted. Online-offline nature and involvement of many stakeholders makes it difficult for these businesses to design, master and scale app development for your business like uber.
How does Uber work?
First and foremost, Uber is a taxi ordering app that is used by millions of people due to its excellent service, as well as job opportunities. For riders, Uber has been a real blessing since 2012, as they can now book a private cab driver with a tap on the phone. The nearest car will pick you up in minutes.
Uber has 80 million users and it works in 77 countries. This service is generally 35 to 50% cheaper than conventional taxi cab, and also responds rapidly. This is the reason that its effect in the market is called ‘disruptive’. And this is the reason that many people want to walk on its path. Lyft, Hailo, Gett and other have already succeeded. What about the cost?
The mind, that no one is able to guess the precise cost of developing a taxi app like Uber. It all depends on the vast variety of things: app architecture and developer rates, features, country and industry, and hundreds more
Here is a summary of the basic features of a taxi app like Uber:
We should pay attention to immediately, that developing an app like Uber means 2 separate applications with different functionality:
- Traveler App – For Taxpayers
- Driver app – For those who receive orders and get you to your destination.
The list of facilities is the first big factor in the cost of the taxi app development. Some of the features of the passenger and driver interface will overlap, but each has its own requirements as well.
Basic Features of Passenger App:
- Register / Login: Email and / or Social Media Login Options, Accounts, Credit Cards, Payment Processing;
- Booking interface: To call the taxi, select a screen, a cab type (or specific driver), set a location for pickup;
- Tracking: To track the driver’s location during the ride or to update later; etc.;
- Value calculator: To check the estimated cost of riding from point A to point B with some taxicab types even before ordering;
- Payments: Cashless and in-app, payments are automatically made through credit card, users receive an invoice for phone and email or just plain cash;
- Push notifications: To keep users updated on order status, estimated time of taxi arrival and other details such as car models, license plates, etc.;
- Messaging, ratings and reviews, booking history.
Basic Features of Driver App:
- Register / Profile / Status: Verification (tax number) and approval by an Administrator, Plus with online status and schedule;
- Booking: With the option of accepting or rejecting incoming orders, information about the customer’s location and destination of immediate visible rides, as well as the history of booking;
- Push notifications: Order alerts, taxi booking data (location, payment, route, etc.) to update and / or complete orders;
- Navigation: e.g. A voice can be raised using Google Maps or Google Places to get optimum directions for a customer and your destination;
- Cost estimate, report, message, support
Additionally, an admin panel is required to manage all the processes and drivers from the central point. It’s a web application that lets chat with customers, manages ride routes, payments, and all other data.
Uber-like app technology
Keeping in mind that Uber has already disclosed its API to the public and the developers, and has introduced the Riders affiliate program, you can also create an app like Uber, according to yourself. There are three major foundations for developing a taxi app, mapping, and payment. First of all, to process hundreds of user requests, driver routes and other data that you require the server itself.
Programming languages for backend – nodes, python, java, php, ruby on the rails. Another important element of any Uber-Clone app is GPS. The OpenStreetMap API can be used for both iOS and Android. For Android, platform-specific tools in this regard can be Google Maps and Google Location Services APIs. For iOS devices – MapKit or CoreLocation framework.
As Uber Credit Card supports in-app payments via PayPal, you can use the following gateway adapters to develop an app – Stripe, Braintree, PayTm, PayPal Mobile SDK. The technology stack is very straightforward for push notifications: Google Firebase for Android, and Apple Push for iOS phones. For SMS, Uber went publicly with Twilio, although other cloud communication platforms, such as Plivo, Nexmo, Tropo, are worth noting.
Without being expansive on all possible aspects of app development, review large and common tasks, which go into app like Uber. Those components are:
- Backend development
- Web development
- Native App Development (Android / iOS)
- The design
- Management and quality assurance
Building infrastructure – Backend is the foundation with all connections between the elements. This is the first step to discover how to make Uber an app. This will be a platform with all the features that we have mentioned above.
In relation to timing and resources, no one can accurately define the backend of the app. Every feature of Uber such as App is a painstaking task. On average, each facility can eat up to 100 to 200 hours, and even more. You can hire two senior developers or the entire team to go faster, it all depends.
Native iOS / android
If you want to cut costs and want to create a simple taxi app like Uber, you will choose only one platform. It depends on your target customers. Clearly, covering both iOS and Android will be a priority. Any reliable software company is able to develop both platforms these days.
Backend and functionality will be similar to Android or iOS, while the tools and frameworks used will be platform-specific. For example, Google Wallet or Apple Pay or different PayPal affiliate services Timeline for each platform – at least 200 hours.
Hourly rates vary in different locations, e.g. $20-40 Asia, $ 40-80 in Europe, $100-150 in UK / USA. Let’s say we calculate the cost to make an app like Uber at an average $50 rate. But remember that we give $30 per hour for mobile app development projects in KCMK KINESI.
|iOS application|| |
|App for both platforms|
|Backend||$5.000 (x2)||$5.000 (x2)||$10.000|
|QA / PM||$6.000||$7.000||$13.000|
|Total cost (approx.)||$30.000||$35.000||$65.000|
Within a normal time of application development, a passenger app (33%) and quality assurance (39%) will be the most time-consuming component. The driver app will take about 14% of the time when the app is created and the administrator / web application.
So, how much does it cost to create an app like Uber? Or in fact, how much can the cost limit be?
In order to summarize all the factors, and to make a single estimate, the price of single-platform apps like Uber will be priced at around $30,000- $35.000 at $50 per hour. While the price of an original app for both iOS and Android will be around $65.000 but it can be more.